Skip to content ↓

Frequently Asked Questions

What should my child do if he/she misses the bus in a morning? 

 He/she should return home and try to make alternative arrangements to get to school as quickly as possible, by service bus or lift. School should be telephoned to advise of late arrival. Our telephone number is provided on our Contact Us page.

What should my child do if he/she arrives late to school? 

Punctuality is a key personal skill and we are always asked to comment on this when references are requested so we would actively encourage students not to be late. However, if they are late they should immediately go to Reception and sign in. If they arrive after the registers close they will receive an unauthorised mark for the session. In addition, they will be required to attend a break time detention with a member of SLT.

What should my child do if he/she feels ill during the school day? 

He/she should inform his teacher or Tutor if he feels ill during registration or lesson time. During break or lunch he/she should go to the Medical Room or another member of duty staff. First Aiders or our School Nurse will make an assessment. In cases of severe illness parents will be contacted for a decision about taking the student home. In some cases students will be given a time out period and asked to give the session another try, returning to the Medical Room if they really feel they cannot continue.

My child is sick. How do I report an absence? 

If your child is sick please contact the school before 9am on the first day of absence to report the absence. Contact should be made on every subsequent day of illness. Further details and support on specific illness relevant to school attendance can be gained by speaking with the Attendance and Welfare Manager. Our Attendance Team can be contacted on 01482 648604, Option 1 or alternatively email us at

What should my child do on returning to school after an absence? 

On returning, he/she should talk to each subject teacher regarding catching up on missed work.

What should I do if I wish to take my child out of school for a holiday? 

We strongly discourage and do not authorise holidays during term time in line with the Local Authority joint policy, as they inevitably have an adverse effect on your child’s progress. Only in exceptional circumstances would this decision be considered by the Executive Headteacher. A Term Time Holiday Application Form can be obtained by contacting the Attendance and Welfare Manager ONLY.

How do I get an urgent message to my child during the school day? 

We would ask you to avoid requesting routine messages to be passed to children wherever possible, this includes contacting them on their mobile device while they are in school. If a message is urgent, please telephone 01482 648604 select option 7 and relevant year group option and the message will be passed on to your child.

What should my child do if he/she loses or misplaces something whilst at school? 

Your child should immediately inform a member of staff who will advise him/her what he/she should do. He/she should certainly check in Lost Property at Student Services or with their Year Leader. We strongly advise parents to mark all property with the child’s name in indelible ink or a sewn name label.

What should I do if my child leaves something on the bus? 

You should contact the bus company directly and report what has been left behind. The school receptionist will be able to give you the contact details of the bus company if you cannot find them on the East Yorkshire Motor Services website (in the Sixth Form we use Stagecoach as our contractor).

What are the term dates? 

Visit our Calendar and Events page for details of term dates and events.

What is the school uniform? 

Our students wear their uniform with pride as it identifies them as a member of our school community. Compulsory items of school uniform can only be bought at Rawcliffes Schoolwear, Savile Street in Hull. Details of what boys and girls must wear can be found on our Uniform Guidelines page. Non-compulsory items can be bought from other retailers, although Rawcliffes stock a range of high quality, school approved wear. We would advise parents that before purchasing non-compulsory items they check the uniform policy for the appropriateness of items to be purchased.

Where can I buy the school uniform? 

Compulsory items of our school uniform can be bought at Rawcliffes Schoolwear other basic items can be purchased at most clothing shops. View our Uniform Guidelines page for full details.

What should I do if I am unable to attend a Progress/Information Evening? 

Progress and Information Evenings are crucially important to the progress and well being of your child and to the relationship between school, home and child. Our evidence would indicate that students whose parents/carers regularly attend progress and information evenings and work with the school achieve better than those who are regularly unable to attend. However, we do appreciate there will be times when despite your best efforts you are unable to attend. If you cannot attend, however, you should contact the Year Leader who will liaise with the subject teachers for a call to be made or make alternative arrangements if there are serious concerns. You can also email us at

How do I make an application for a school place? 

If your child is currently attending Penshurst Primary School they will automatically receive a place at Hessle High School & Sixth Form College.  If your child attends an alternative school you will need to make an application to your home Local Authority. Further detail on the Admissions page.

Can you accept applications from a child with special needs? 

Applications received relating to children with statements of special educational needs will be dealt with in accordance with the National Code of Practice on Special Educational Needs. Where a school is named in a child’s statement of educational special needs, the school has a duty to admit the child. For further details about our SEND Provision contact the Director of Learning Support.

Where will I find the latest performance tables and Ofsted report?  

These are available in the Statutory Requirements section of The Hessle Academy area.

What should I do if my child is bullied? 

We work really hard to support our learners to identify bullying and peer disputes within our restorative ethos and to develop resilience in dealing with these types of relationship issues. However, if your child does talk about this please advise them to speak to any adult in the school straight away. This can be any member of staff that they feel comfortable with. You may also wish to support your child by talking to the class teacher with your child. We would encourage that they report any incident to the class teacher as they can observe behaviour during lessons and advise lunchtime staff as necessary. We take accusations of bullying very seriously and any incidents are dealt with appropriately and with speed in accordance with our policy. If you are concerned about your child please speak to a member of the Senior Leadership Team and never approach a child or the parent yourself.

What should I do if I wish to make contact with a particular member of staff? 

You should contact the school office in the first instance and they will pass a message on to the relevant person. It is always helpful and expedient to try to provide staff with information about the reason for the call; this will ensure we direct your call to the correct person and enable a swift resolution. If necessary the member of staff will telephone you when they are able to either have a discussion over the telephone or make an appointment for you to come into school. We would ask you not to arrive at school to see any member of staff without an appointment as they will in all probability be engaged in teaching or other school routines and be unable to see you.

Where can I view a copy of letters to parents? 

A copy of letters sent to parents during the school year can be found in the Hessle High Parent Communication section.

How do I get to Hessle High School? 

Directions on how to get to Hessle High School & Sixth Form College can be found on our website’s How to get here page.

Can I park at the school? 

There is limited parking available for staff, students and visitors within the school grounds. We encourage parents that are picking children up and dropping them off to keep clear of the school entrance at busy times and ask that you are sensitive to the needs of our neighbours. It is illegal to stop on the zigzag lines near the school to drop off your child. If there are fewer cars near the school entrances there is more likelihood that children will be visible when leaving school and, therefore, safer.  However, we do have a designated ‘drop off/pick up’ point within the Visitor Car Park which parents can use.

Is my child entitled to a free bus pass? 

Home to School transport is provided by East Riding of Yorkshire Council and their policy states when a child is eligible for transport. If you live three miles or more from school or if the journey from your home to school is deemed by the Local Authorities to be a hazardous route your child will be issued with a free bus pass. Those children that live outside the catchment area can buy a daily ticket, a weekly ticket which is cheaper than the daily rate or a four week ticket from the bus company directly.  A discounted termly pass can be purchased from the school.

Can my child cycle to school? 

Yes, children can cycle to school. Children are asked to dismount from their cycles at the school gate and walk through the school grounds to ensure the safety of pedestrians on site.

Young people should be encouraged to bring a bicycle lock, wear a helmet and begin to develop good and safe road practices. The school takes no responsibility for bicycles left on the school site.  We recommend protect your property with the Immobilise Property Register

What is the school meal service? 

Our school meals service is provided by abm Catering, a large, national company with an excellent reputation both in the education sector and beyond. Menus are updated every term. To see the latest menu, please visit our Catering/Free School Meals page.

The average school meal costs £2.70 for the ‘meal deal’ per day. Arbor Pay is our preferred payment method for school lunches. If parents feel they are entitled to free school meals, they should contact East Riding Council, regardless of their home authority for eligibility criteria and information on the application process.

Can I receive the Headteacher’s Blog and school updates by email? 

Updates will be emailed to parents, but can also be obtained from our website from the Headteacher's Blog section.

How does my child apply for Hessle Sixth Form College? 

Please go to the Hessle Sixth Form College section of our website where you will find details on How to Apply or alternatively call 01482 579769.

If you are unable to find the answer to your question, please do not hesitate to contact the Office on 01482 648604.